Monday, January 24, 2011

Substituting Eggs

So this weeks "recipe" isn't really a recipe at all. It's more a cooking tip.

I have a sister-in-law who is deathly allergic to eggs. She has to carry an epi pen with her where ever she goes. She taught me this trick:

One egg=2 Tbs applesauce

Yes, that's right. If you are cooking for someone with an egg allergy, substitute your eggs for applesauce. Just note that when you make cookies and cakes and such, they will dry out faster than normal so you'll want to eat them in the first couple of days. We have used this trick in pancakes many times when I've opened the fridge and realized we're out of eggs. And I have never noticed a difference in the pancakes consistency or taste.

Now my most favoritest (I know that's not a word, but it just shows how excited I am) reason that I am sharing this tip.......

Are you ready........

COOKIE DOUGH!!!

Yes! I can make cookie dough and eat it too! I am one of those people who doesn't like to eat cookie dough with raw eggs, but I love love LOVE cookie dough. Now I can whip up a batch with applesauce and store it in the fridge and eat cookie dough when ever I feel that itch.
Photobucket

No comments: