Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Heart Series

Did you notice something different about my header? Yes, this month I am doing my first series- a series all about hearts. And let me tell you why.

We all know that hearts are the symbol of Valentines Day. We use them to decorate and to tell people we love them. Hearts are used in so many fun ways to celebrate. But for heart mom's like me, Valentines Day carries a whole different meaning.

You see our children have broken hearts, literally. They were born with a Congenital Heart Defect (CHD) which means their hearts didn't form right and are not whole. So though we take the opportunity to use Valentines Day as a way of expressing our love to those around us, it is also a reminder of the burden our little ones must carry. And our minds are taken to the hearts our children carry and not so much to the hearts that act as symbols.

Because of this, every year, February 7-14 is CHD Awareness Week. It is a week where all those affected by CHD rally together to spread awareness of the #1 birth defect in the United States- CHD.

But I thought hey, why not do it for the whole month, not just for a week. So February is going to be a Month of Hearts!

All my post this month will be related to hearts (the real and the symbol). And every Wednesday for the whole month I will spotlight a CHD hero. I would also love to share any "heart" posts you may have. Just email me and lets all get involved.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You are welcome to Share Elaine's story. :)